A Test

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

early round at the Bluebird

The Bluebird Cafe is famous. And yet somehow I had never heard of it before I moved to Nashville, now going on five years ago. Likewise, I had no idea previously that such a thing as "music publishing" even existed, much less that I would be working in it. I wanted to publish books. But somehow I stumbled into music instead.

Tonight I saw some friends perform in the Bluebird's early round (in case you're not familiar, a "writer's round" is an informal show where three or four songwriters take turns performing their songs, sometimes accompanying each other with an instrument and/or with harmonies). The Bluebird (among others) has at least two rounds every night. Some are good, some are bad, and some are really, really ugly. This one I enjoyed very much.

My pictures, unfortunately, are not the best. I have been toying with my camera lately, and this was an experiment of sorts. Didn't quite achieve the effect I was going for...the pictures came out a bit fuzzy. But I'm postin' em anyway!



Above is Matt Thackston, who I used to share office space with in our semi-corporate past lives. Matt has been doing music full-time for the past year, and it is really beginning to show. He is growing into quite the engaging performer - a strong voice and good stories to tell. Many of the songs he performed tonight I had heard before. And yet, somehow it seemed like I was hearing them for the first time.



Here is Matt again with roommate Phillip Glidewell, who has just recently gone (mostly) full-time with his own music. We haven't seen much of Phillip these last few years, as he was always on the road for one promotional gig or another. But he's here to stay now...we think? I'll be interested to see what happens as he devotes more time to his music.



Sort of a dizzying shot of Kenya Walker, with son Jacob accompanying on guitar.



And finally, the full round: Kenya Walker, Steve Nelson, Phillip Glidewell, Matt Thackston.

Sorry for the fuzzy faces!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home